Skip to main content

Game idea research

 Hello everyone! 

I have finally decided on a game idea that I want to recreate! It wasn't particularly difficult for me to chose but I knew it would have to be a choice between two games! I wanted to choose between either flappy bird or Nintendogs! I chose... Nintendogs!!! I named my game "Puppy Paws".


I chose Nintendogs because I was always interested in the game itself and I thought that it could be a potential challenge to recreate the game. I know, why do I want a challenge when I am already drowning in work that I have barely any time to do? I don't have the answer to that question just yet but let's hope the challenge is worth it! Nintendogs has a lot of elements to it that is impossible for me to create this semester. I plan to take out a lot of difficulty to the game and only focus on the basics but with a twist!  


To start, the dog owner (the player)will own a puppy. They must name it and train it! Basic training will have already been complete (learning its name). The game aims to enter puppies into competitions where they will so all sorts of obstacle courses. Each puppy and their owner will be able to enter into competitions daily and progress in the game. The more you play and win, the more puppies you can own.

A video I used to get started on unity... HOW TO MAKE YOUR FIRST GAME IN UNITY

Screenshot of a pet simulator from Pinterest

REWARDS 

Each time the owner (player) completes/ wins a competition they will earn points. The points will be used to adopt more puppies until you can't control any more puppies. The points will also go towards winning outfits and food for the puppies (if possible). This will entice the players to keep playing until they have as many puppies and outfits as they want! During the game, the puppy will also be able to collect bonus items along the way which can be new outfits or food. I found a useful tutorial to get me started on this section. How To Make A Collectable And Scoring System.


GAME OVER

The player and puppy will have a chance to complete the obstacle course without knocking down more than 3 obstacles. If the player's puppy knocks any obstacle over 3 times in one game it will immediately over and they will have to restart the whole course again. This will teach the player how to play carefully and move to another course quicker. I found a useful video to help me create the game over scene! How to create a GAME OVER scene.


XP AND TIME

The puppy can earn points during their competition depending on how quick and effective they get the obstacle course done. The puppy can level up when XP is earned and can learn new tricks and potentially move faster. The player will be able to see their XP for the main part of the game and will know how much XP they earned and how long it took them to complete the course. Here are videos I watched to learn how to level up with XP and how to make an in-game timer in Unity


Overall, I am excited to get started on creating this game. I hope all my game mechanics somewhat workout. Majority of my game mechanics will be difficult but there seem to be many tutorials online to get me through the game process. I am looking forward to seeing how much I can push myself to make a good, if not a great game! Hopefully, one day my friends and family can test my game and enjoy it. 


 


Thank you for reading, 

Student online, going offline <3 


Comments

  1. Hi Danniella,
    The part of the blog when you said you were going to recreate nintendogs made me very curios and then you mentioned you were going to do it with a twist, wow!!!, it made me want to keep reading until I found out what the twist was. I understand having a points system for the game, but why is there an incentive for players to work hard for outfits for the puppies, food I understand, the outfit part may be very difficult to code in our time frame for the project on top of everything else. What if you left out the outfits and just worked more on the basis of the game, such as the competitions, how you will deliver the points and feed the dogs. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danniella!
    Really interesting post, when you said you were going to recreate Nintendogs it really got my attention! I think it's great that you're recreating such an iconic game but of course with the twist! I'm curious as to how you will go about training them? Will you have when they do the correct thing maybe three times than they will have it learned? I'm so curious as to what will they do if they don't do it right? Will they do a different trick? I'm also curious about owning more than one puppy how will you control them all in the one game? Will they have a mind of their own or will they be almost controlled by a computer? It seems like a difficult game to make! What if you left out of one of the smaller elements? Like maybe not having to train the dogs that they come trained or maybe just rewarding them with treats and not clothes etc?
    Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing how you get on! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danniella!
    Really interesting post, when you said you were going to recreate Nintendogs it really got my attention! I think it's great that you're recreating such an iconic game but of course with the twist! I'm curious as to how you will go about training them? Will you have when they do the correct thing maybe three times than they will have it learned? I'm so curious as to what will they do if they don't do it right? Will they do a different trick? I'm also curious about owning more than one puppy how will you control them all in the one game? Will they have a mind of their own or will they be almost controlled by a computer? It seems like a difficult game to make! What if you left out of one of the smaller elements? Like maybe not having to train the dogs that they come trained or maybe just rewarding them with treats and not clothes etc?
    Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing how you get on! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an everything kind of person!

Hello!  In this blog post, I will be sharing a bit about myself, my hobbies and what I got up to during lockdown! To begin let's talk about boring things...  I am 19 years old, nearly 20. I am currently in year 2 of TU Dublin and study Creative Digital Media. I am a super busy person and anytime I get any free time I can never sit still! I have 3 lovely sisters, we are all 2 years apart so that's FUN!! I live in Kildare (in the middle of nowhere) and thankfully don't have to travel by bus anymore to get into college because we are online!! Well, that is sad but it saves me a lot of time and money.  How has my life changed since last year? Well, I have changed a LOT since last year. I have taken up new hobbies, I have made a lot of plans for the coming year, I learned how to drive, I matured and grew as a person but best of all I managed to lose 2 stone!! My new hobbies include cooking, walking and just overall fitness.  As you can probably tell, I am an everything person. I

My Favourite Game!

Hello and welcome back to my blog! Today's blog is all about my favourite game. I am not a gamer nor do I play a lot of games. I have a play station 4 but that's about it. I rarely use my play station but when I do I play  GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Fuel! I don't have any favourite games on my play station at the moment but I do have a favourite game I play on my phone.  'AMONG US!' .  Among us was created in 2019 but  people have only started to play it recently so it is blowing up on the app store/ google play. The app has a 4.1-star rating so far on the app store with a number 1 chart simulation. The app developer is known as  InnerSloth LLC.  Among us is a game where 10 astronauts are stuck in a space station and there can be 1-3 imposters in the one game. The aim of the game is survival. to win the game the team of possible survivors have to restore the space station by completing all tasks. The imposter aims are to kill other astron