Skip to main content

Game Brainstorm

 Hello and welcome back!!

Today I will be brainstorming four game ideas from original games but potentially putting my own twist on them. I have chose four games all which I am familiar with. The games include: Flappy Bird, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Dr Driving.

Flappy Bird

Flappy Bird is a mobile or PC game. It is a 2D game where the player controls the yellow bird by tapping on the screen or pressing the space bar. The aim of the game is to beat your high score by flying the bird through the gaps of the green pipes. If the player crashes into the green pipes it is GAME OVER. The original flappy bird game was launched in 2014 and had 50 million downloads by January 2014. The game was taken off all App Stores in May 2014, the original creator made the decision to delete his game as there were too much addiction and frustration playing the game. Flappy bird was trending for some time and a lot of trending stories were people smashing and breaking their phones over this game. Today there are still so many different versions of Flappy Bird on app stores and the internet. I would like to recreate something like this game but obviously less extreme and frustrating. I would also like to make the game to suit all seasons. Winter- A robin flying through candy canes. Spring- A bee flying through flowers. Summer- The sun jumping over sunscreen bottles. Autumn- A bat flying through deceased trees. I haven't seen any idea of the seasons throughout this game and I think it would be cool to try. I chose this game because it seems somewhat of a challenge to make in unity but isn't completely impossible. I understand that the graphics I create won't be as professional but I will definitely try very hard and work to a good standard. I also attempted to play the Flappy bird game this morning on my Mac and to be honest the constant slamming on the space bar noise went through my head. if I did decide to chose this as my final idea I would tweak the game controls so the player could hold the space bar to fly and let go to dip. 

Screenplay of Flappy Bird

Link to reading source


Mario Kart

Mario Kart is an animated car racing game published by Nintendo. The first-ever Mario Kart game was launched in 1992 and was known as 'Super Mario Kart'. The first launch was a massive success which then led to a whole series of more Mario Kart games. The Mario Kart series was available on Nintendo devices such as the SNES short for Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U. Mario Kart also made its way into the arcade and had many arcade games about it. More recently Mario Kart released on IOS and android which was iconic to most people my age who used to play it on the Nintendo DS and Wii! It was also released on the new Nintendo device the 'Nintendo Switch'. The game itself is made up of many animated characters who have different abilities. Most people decide to choose their favourite character meanwhile I chose the character with the best ability when trying to race against my sisters and friends! Great tactic, I know!! So, let's get into gameplay. The aim of the game is to race around different tracks and win the race. During the race, the player encounters clear boxes with a question mark on it. If the player drives into the question box and breaks it, they get a prize. The prizes can include: objects to fire at other players to damage their cart and speed boosts for the player. The player also will come across coins in the race and can collect the coins. The coins make the player progress in the race and also unlock new features for future races. I wanted to recreate a racing game for my project and I had to choose Mario Kart for my game idea because I was never into gaming but when I played it was always Mario Kart or some other Mario game! If I was to recreate this game I would change the respawn rule. I would only allow 3 respawns then its GAME OVER. I feel like if this was a rule, the players would be more careful about where they are driving and how they drive. I also would also not have different speed games eg. 50cc and 100cc because that is quite confusing. I would also add a chat box so other players could communicate with each other. 

Mario Kart

Link to reading source

Nintendogs

Nintendogs is a virtual pet game published by Nintendo. Nintendogs was launched in 2005. There are many versions of Nintendogs including Nintendogs 'Chihauhau and friends', 'Labrador and friends', 'Dachshund and friends' and 'Dalmatian and Friends'. 'Dalmatian and Friends' was the fourth edition of Nintendogs and it was released in 2006. Nintendogs and cats were released in 2011. The game starts by the player adopting their own dog at the kennel. There are different breeds of dogs to choose from depending on what game the player has. Once the player adopts their chosen dog they must do a number of things. The player has to tame its dog and teach them their name. The player also must give their dog food and water. The dogs can be taught many tricks and can eventually become entered into dog competitions where the play has to work with their dog on obstacle courses in an arena. The player should interact regularly with their dog and take care of it otherwise the friendship level will decrease. The game does not allow dogs to die (which I agree with) nor do they allow the dogs to have puppies. I would like to make a game similar to Nintendogs but I would make it easier to tame the dog. From my memory I'm pretty sure it is a bit time consuming to build up a friendship with your dog, I guess that is real life though.  I would also allow the dogs to have puppies so it can become more realistic and the player can care for more dogs. I could also potentially add more animals depending on the difficulty I encounter while creating the game. Overall I like the idea of doing a recreation of this game as I know that it would be a serious challenge but the outcome could be amazing.

Screenplay of Nintendogs


Link to reading source

Dr Driving

Dr Driving is a car driving and parking game published by SUD Inc. Dr Driving was launched in 2013. Dr Driving is a car game with many different challenges or games you can complete within the game. The challenges range from driving to parking. While driving, the player uses the acceleration and brake pedals on the left-hand side and the steering wheel on the right-hand side. The player can also use the indicators but it is not a requirement. It is easy to drive in this game but also very easy to crash. Once the player crashes, its GAME OVER. The player can also drift and while drifting the player can earn extra coins. The car is automatic and is simple to use. The angles of the camera can be changed while driving and parking which is somewhat helpful. The better the player drives, the more coins they will earn. The coins can be spent in the game shop to buy new cars and new paint for their original car. I find it extremely difficult to earn coins as I think some of the things are unfair. I feel like I could improve this game for myself. I would angel the camera better than the game itself because the camera angles are okay but they could be a lot more clear. I don't think the player can see enough on the screen while driving, especially Turing the corner. this makes it a lot easier to crash. I would also give a lot more coins or have cars in the shop be fewer coins. I feel like this is the same with most car games and it shouldn't necessarily be that way. I like the concept of this game because I feel like it gives the player insight on how to actually drive.

Screenplay of Dr Driving




Student online, going offline <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game idea research

 Hello everyone!  I have finally decided on a game idea that I want to recreate! It wasn't particularly difficult for me to chose but I knew it would have to be a choice between two games! I wanted to choose between either flappy bird or Nintendogs! I chose... Nintendogs!!! I named my game "Puppy Paws". I chose Nintendogs because I was always interested in the game itself and I thought that it could be a potential challenge to recreate the game. I know, why do I want a challenge when I am already drowning in work that I have barely any time to do? I don't have the answer to that question just yet but let's hope the challenge is worth it! Nintendogs has a lot of elements to it that is impossible for me to create this semester. I plan to take out a lot of difficulty to the game and only focus on the basics but with a twist!   To start, the dog owner (the player)will own a puppy. They must name it and train it! Basic training will have already been complete (learning

Introduction to an everything kind of person!

Hello!  In this blog post, I will be sharing a bit about myself, my hobbies and what I got up to during lockdown! To begin let's talk about boring things...  I am 19 years old, nearly 20. I am currently in year 2 of TU Dublin and study Creative Digital Media. I am a super busy person and anytime I get any free time I can never sit still! I have 3 lovely sisters, we are all 2 years apart so that's FUN!! I live in Kildare (in the middle of nowhere) and thankfully don't have to travel by bus anymore to get into college because we are online!! Well, that is sad but it saves me a lot of time and money.  How has my life changed since last year? Well, I have changed a LOT since last year. I have taken up new hobbies, I have made a lot of plans for the coming year, I learned how to drive, I matured and grew as a person but best of all I managed to lose 2 stone!! My new hobbies include cooking, walking and just overall fitness.  As you can probably tell, I am an everything person. I

My Favourite Game!

Hello and welcome back to my blog! Today's blog is all about my favourite game. I am not a gamer nor do I play a lot of games. I have a play station 4 but that's about it. I rarely use my play station but when I do I play  GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Fuel! I don't have any favourite games on my play station at the moment but I do have a favourite game I play on my phone.  'AMONG US!' .  Among us was created in 2019 but  people have only started to play it recently so it is blowing up on the app store/ google play. The app has a 4.1-star rating so far on the app store with a number 1 chart simulation. The app developer is known as  InnerSloth LLC.  Among us is a game where 10 astronauts are stuck in a space station and there can be 1-3 imposters in the one game. The aim of the game is survival. to win the game the team of possible survivors have to restore the space station by completing all tasks. The imposter aims are to kill other astron