Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies

 Hello! 

Today I will be talking about different feedback strategies. Last week I spoke about my thoughts on feedback in general but today I will be going into more dept and talk about how I can give feedback to someone else as well as my general thoughts. I have read two articles about feedback: Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback by Marshall Goldsmith and How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk by Adam Grant. 

The first article I read was Try feedforward instead of feedback. I found this article very interesting and the title immediately caught my eye. In the article, Goldsmith talks about both the positive and negative sides of feedback. Goldsmith says that feedback can benefit a person but also can focus on the past and what has already occurred. He then suggests using the method of 'feedforward'. This is when a person suggests how to improve in the future and suggests help. I have never heard of feedforward until I read this article and its clear already that this method is better, if not, more effective than giving 'feedback'. Here are three of many reasons to use feedforward instead of feedback:

 1. You can't change your past, instead, you can improve in the future.

2. It is more positive to help someone be right, rather than prove they were wrong. 

3. People are more inclined to be willing to change if you offer feedforward instead of feedback.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this article as I already feel like I could progress with feedforward and potentially help others out by also using this method.


The second article I read was How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk. I liked this article as it thought me a bit more about giving feedback but not sounding mean while I'm doing it. I'm scared of giving feedback, especially to my friends or people I know in case they take major offence to what I say and then they might learn to hate me forever... Grant mentions many ways of giving feedback or even starting a general conversation about feedback. My favourite method he talks about is taking yourself off the pedestal. Here he talks about how to start a conversation about giving the other person feedback but in a very positive and professional manner. He uses example sentences such as: “Now that we’ve been working together for a while, I think it would be great if we gave each other suggestions for how we can be more effective.” and “I’ve benefited a lot from people giving me feedback, and I’m trying to pay that forward.”


I enjoyed reading these articles and hopefully, they will be able to help me give feedback in a good and positive manner to my fellow peers and even colleagues in the future.


Feedback image from Pinterest 



Thanks for reading.

Student online, going offline <3 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game idea research

 Hello everyone!  I have finally decided on a game idea that I want to recreate! It wasn't particularly difficult for me to chose but I knew it would have to be a choice between two games! I wanted to choose between either flappy bird or Nintendogs! I chose... Nintendogs!!! I named my game "Puppy Paws". I chose Nintendogs because I was always interested in the game itself and I thought that it could be a potential challenge to recreate the game. I know, why do I want a challenge when I am already drowning in work that I have barely any time to do? I don't have the answer to that question just yet but let's hope the challenge is worth it! Nintendogs has a lot of elements to it that is impossible for me to create this semester. I plan to take out a lot of difficulty to the game and only focus on the basics but with a twist!   To start, the dog owner (the player)will own a puppy. They must name it and train it! Basic training will have already been complete (learning

Introduction to an everything kind of person!

Hello!  In this blog post, I will be sharing a bit about myself, my hobbies and what I got up to during lockdown! To begin let's talk about boring things...  I am 19 years old, nearly 20. I am currently in year 2 of TU Dublin and study Creative Digital Media. I am a super busy person and anytime I get any free time I can never sit still! I have 3 lovely sisters, we are all 2 years apart so that's FUN!! I live in Kildare (in the middle of nowhere) and thankfully don't have to travel by bus anymore to get into college because we are online!! Well, that is sad but it saves me a lot of time and money.  How has my life changed since last year? Well, I have changed a LOT since last year. I have taken up new hobbies, I have made a lot of plans for the coming year, I learned how to drive, I matured and grew as a person but best of all I managed to lose 2 stone!! My new hobbies include cooking, walking and just overall fitness.  As you can probably tell, I am an everything person. I

My Favourite Game!

Hello and welcome back to my blog! Today's blog is all about my favourite game. I am not a gamer nor do I play a lot of games. I have a play station 4 but that's about it. I rarely use my play station but when I do I play  GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Crash Bandicoot Nitro Fuel! I don't have any favourite games on my play station at the moment but I do have a favourite game I play on my phone.  'AMONG US!' .  Among us was created in 2019 but  people have only started to play it recently so it is blowing up on the app store/ google play. The app has a 4.1-star rating so far on the app store with a number 1 chart simulation. The app developer is known as  InnerSloth LLC.  Among us is a game where 10 astronauts are stuck in a space station and there can be 1-3 imposters in the one game. The aim of the game is survival. to win the game the team of possible survivors have to restore the space station by completing all tasks. The imposter aims are to kill other astron